PERIODIC REPORT – MARCH 2020
MSC Shipmanagement Limited (MSCSMCY) is committed to a socially responsible behavior among with contribution to sustainable development. It has adopted the guidelines of ISO 26000 with the assistance of Bureau Veritas. This report, of our 2020 activities, is posted on the MSCCS website in order to inform and engage with the stakeholders who may be influenced by the activities of MSC Shipmanagement Limited.
- No cases of discrimination
- No reported cases of violation of civil rights
- MSC Shipmanagement Limited received the Ship Manager of the 2019 Year Award in Ukraine and in India
- Numerous alerts were sent by the office regarding safe working practices onboard.
- LTIF for the year 2019 is 1. 38.
- In-house magazine was given a new look and information is circulated within the organization.
- All managed company vessels and practices are in full compliance with Maritime labour convention (MLC 2006 and all related amendments) requirements.
- In Nov 2019, 3rd biennial Crew engagement Survey was concluded with participation of over 7000 crew members and results confirmed overall improvement in all key areas as compared to past surveys of 2015 and looking at all Key Areas MSCSMCY has high score at average 6.31 (out of 7), this is remarkably high and unprecedented in similar surveys conducted in industry. Interestingly the three highest scores were found among Sustainability 6.60, Commitment 6.43 & Company Values 6.42 (all out of 7), all exceptionally good result.
- No complaints received from the Principals
- CO2 emissions, in terms of TEUs carried, reduced in 2019 (compared to 2018) by 3%. Approximately. Received Green Company of the year award in India and Ukraine.
- EEOI for cargo (TEU) was reduced in 2019 (compared to 2018) by 4 % approximately.
- Target for reduction of waste streams (ISO 14001) is 0,5%.
- Target for reduction of fuel consumption (ISO 50001) is 1%
FAIR OPERATION PRACTICES
- All vendors prior being approved have to comply with business ethics certificate terms of the company.
- No instances of corrupt practices were reported.
- MSC Group had joined MACN (Maritime Anti-corruption Network) since Oct 2017 and MSC Shipmanagement has trained large number of Masters and successful launched ‘Say No Campaign at Suez Canal, Nhava Sheva with nearly 100% success.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Leadership and other professional development courses were conducted for both ship and office staff.
- Internet facilities were provided on all managed ships to enable seafarers to maintain close contact with their families and the internet speed on board has been nearly doubled since beginning of 2020. Health and Wellness Program is being introduced during Seminars and Leadership courses.
New local recruits – MSC Shipmanagement’s over all number of female employees ashore has increased by 5% compared to the year 2016. In past three years, in terms of recruitment, 48% of new recruited employees are female. Female managers have increased from 8 % in 2016 to 23% in 2019.
Adopt a ship program” for our new generation, was introduced on 20 of our MSC vessels for increasing awareness about shipping in new generation. All the Masters of 20 vessels were asked to share some good pictures, challenges and adventures at sea and any other attractions, which can motivate youngsters of participating schools in Limassol to select shipping as a career.
MSCSMCY is active member of Cyprus Shipping Chamber (CSC) for promoting Cyprus Shipping interests locally and overseas. It has also actively supported and participated in creation of Cyprus Marine academy and recruits number of graduates upon completion of studies.
MSC Shipmanagement is the largest private sponsor of the Marine and Maritime Research Innovation and Technology Centre of Excellence (CMMI) which will act as an enabler of scientific and business excellence, supported by the EU and Cyprus Government. With CMMI, we can expect number of innovations from the Cyprus shipping sector in the near future.
MSC Shipmanagement Limited is among few handful shipping companies whose shore office and all managed fleet is accredited with ISO 9001 (Quality Management), ISO 14001 (Environment Management),ISO 50001 (Energy Management), ISO 26000 (Social Responsibility) and OSHAS 18001 (Health & Safety) standards of certifications now upgraded to ISO 45001 . Work in progress towards certification for ISO 27001 ( Information Security Management System).
MSCSMCY provides Career opportunities by Creating jobs in Cyprus, India, Ukraine, Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia, Kenya, South Africa etc by increasing number of crew members employed from these countries providing real opportunity to people from these countries. MSC Shipmanagement Limited actively takes care of the future generation offering them opportunities and the chance for a great career at sea.